Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Goodbye USA, Hello Australia

A month can pass by quicker than you would expect.  It's amazing how at one moment you could be so excited, but the next you are a nervous wreck.  Don't get me wrong, I am super stoked to be somewhere new, but I am also scared to be living so far away from what I am comfortable with and being miles away from family and friends.  Either way, I cannot believe that the day has come where my mom and I fly off to set me up in the country I'll be living in for the next six months.
  
My family and I have been staying very busy, from work to scuba diving, and of course getting in the last few powder turns on the mountains.  We have hardly set our minds to the fact that I am leaving so soon.  I've stayed busy with Monday evening sorority meetings, rock climbing, scuba diving certification classes, snow shoeing, skiing, and much more!  There is rarely a dull moment in my life, which is probably why I'm still in shock that the day is finally here.  

----------------------------------


To start off, I went to Build-a-Bear with my Big so that we both have bears to cuddle up to when we are miles apart!



My boyfriend Zane and I went on a hike with his brother up to Dog Lake.  The valley has had lots of smog in it due to the lack of storms passing through, so going up to the mountains was a great way to get out and escape the haze.  We had such a fun time.





Every Wednesday after class, my sister drags me along to go rock climbing and go to a boxing class.  Just the other week we went with some of her friends and one of my sorority sisters, and I completed a 5'9 climb and attempted a 5'10a! I'm pretty proud of how much I have accomplished with my climbing skills.  I remember thinking that a 5'5 climb was hard. 






Remember Monica from my last post who is from Oregon, goes to Boise State University, and will be attending Griffith University with me?  Well, she came to visit us in Utah because we bribed her with a few ski tickets to Brighton and Park City.  She's never been to Utah, and she came and brought us a few new powdery inches of snow!  It was great to get some last few turns in with my mom, sister, boyfriend, and of course Monica.  Soon we will be turning in those powder turns into some ocean surf turns.
(P.S. We discovered one night that she too is a part of Alpha Chi Omega at BSU, so of course we had to take a sister picture with our symbols.  I think this friendship was meant to be.)




Last, but not least, this is Tara.  Tara has been one of my best friends since the beginning of my college career.  She has been through everything with me and I could not ask for anyone else to be by my side.  Last year, after our freshman year of college, Tara decided that she was going to go back home to Colorado and go on a mission.  Of course I was sad to say goodbye, but I knew it would be the best for her and such a great adventure.  However, during the summer she changed her mind due to circumstances and decided it was not the right time to go on a mission, so she returned to the University of Utah.  Since I took so many classes during the summer that she was gone and got so far ahead in my nursing pre-reqs, we did not have any classes together this fall.  Despite not seeing each other as much as we did our freshman year, she was still one of those friends that I could always count on, and no matter what we could talk and always catch back up with our lives as if we had never been apart.  
On my last day of being in Utah, I spent a few hours with her to talk and say our goodbyes, however our goodbyes will be slightly longer than 6 months.  Tara has decided that she is now ready for a mission and plans to depart shortly before I arrive back home.  This being said, our goodbyes are for 2 years, rather than half a year, so it was much harder to leave, but I know that it is not goodbye forever, but a see you later.  
I cannot wait to see where we are in the next two years and see who we have become.  Australia will make me more independent and her mission will give her experiences of a lifetime.  I know I will miss this girl dearly, but even if we are thousands of miles apart, our hearts are still close by.


Of course, I have to mention how much I will miss my beautiful homeland.  The snow, the mountains, the people, everything.  I will miss waking up to this beautiful view every morning, but I am sure the view in the tropical land down under will be just as swell.



I will also miss these two's smiling faces.  Ahki (left) is the monster and little sibling I never had.  As annoying and playful as she can be, she has also been there to cuddle when I need a hug or am feeling low.  Same goes to my baby Mittens (right).  She has been there through my lows and so willing to cuddle into my arms and give me kisses when most needed.  I just hope my parents will pay attention to her and not just the attention-needing princess, Ahki. 


Alas, my luggage.  I tried to keep it all within 2 bags, but unfortunately had to dig into a third. Thankfully my mom is coming with me and can make it her second bag and still check our bags in for free.  (Then of course the carry-ons with medicine and random things we didn't want to get squished.)


Ever seen Australian money?  It's very colorful compared to the US dollar.  We will actually be exchanging Krista's Japanese Yen into Australian dollars since the conversion rate is less.


One more thing.  Did I ever mention that Krista won a cruise (or all inclusive hotel) for two in the Caribbean?   Let's just say that we now have our fall break trip somewhat planned out.
Like I mentionsed before: there is never a dull moment in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment